Power Line Communication
Why Power Line Communication (PLC)?
Through the use of simple adapters, power-line communications is easy to set up, and even easier to use. The technology uses the electrical wiring already in your building, home or street, to turn any electrical power outlet into a low bandwidth device network connection.
So no new wires are needed making this technology preferred in many existing business segments, like street-lighting, AMR, security systems, etc.
PLC that works outperforms wireless technology in many aspects as, security, interference, building shadows, etc.
Why others have failed?
Power-Lines (PL) are no silent wires to do communication on. Most PL have a lot of disturbance on the lines, plus capacitance and inductance that attend or kill the power-line communication signal very fast.
So far the current products do not work in other environments than homes, offices and other very relaxed PL-environments, and mostly only over short distances on the PL.
Why RHINO works.
Our RHINO PLC has proved to communicate far better than the rest, thanks the patent pended zero crossing modulation. Where data is modulated on the PL only around the zero crossing of the 50/60 Hz sinus wave.
RHINO physical layer has been internally tested against other technologies and the results have proven that the RHINO technology performance is far superior to any control networking PLC technology available on the market today. Furthermore, RHINO-1 was tested at the world renown ENEL PLC laboratory located in Italy.
There again, RHINO-1 has out-performed its competitors. The results of all the tests performed, confirmed that the RHINO technology is:
- Unequaled in white noise conditions.
- Incontestably superior against PLC noise generated from real-life devices such as:
halogen lights, laptop computer switching supplies, electric motor driven appliances or tools and all of these devices put together.
- Superior in pure attenuation environments.
- Outstanding in narrow-band noise immunity.
- By far the best for handling signal distortion created by devices such as television sets with varying line impedance.
Currently we are selling devices based on RHINO-2 the second generation that is 60 times less immune to disturbance on the power grid than it's predecesior, RHINO-1.
RHINO-2 is a result of 15 years research and development work starting in 1994.
RHINO is the most advanced PLC technologies currently available for the low bandwidth control networking market. It encompasses 4 separate protocol layers, including physical, data-link,
network and application layers. It is a bi-directional low speed PLC technology for use on low voltage (600 VAC and less) networks. Depending on the RHINO physical layers selection, it can communicate over the AC and DC power lines or over dedicated twisted
The key technical features of RHINO are:
- Up to 1024 slaves in the same PLC network.
- Continuous phase frequency shift keying.
- Zero-cross synchronization.
- Burst mode.
- Parallel receivers.
- Multiple frequencies utilization.
- Automatic adaptable baud rates.
Summary of RHINO Key Features and Benefits:
RHINO uses less than 30% of the CPU power when compared to traditional transmission methods. The low power requirements combined with a small firmware footprint means RHINO can be implemented on most low cost digital signal processors or small micro-controllers. Compatibility with multiple IC’s provides a high level of confidence in terms of future availability and competitiveness (performance vs. price).
Additional features and Benefits of RHINO include:
- Supports AC lines or mains.
- Large networking capability (16 millions slaves) provides for a wide application domain.
- Extremely robust in diverse noisy environments.
- Superior performance in pure attenuation environments.
- Very good with signal distortion means lower enhancement or power line maintenance cost.
- Parallel multi-speed communication ensures an optimum communication speed in any given environment.
- Fully compliant with the various international PLC conducted emission regulations (FCC (USA), CENELEC (Europe and Asia) and ICES-006 (CANADA)). No certification cost for existing products.
- Auto-discovery capability reduces costs through quick installation, no configuration, and simplified plug & play.
- Broadcast/Repeater capability facilitates an optimized communication path.
- RHINO is completely scalable and the protocol can be upgraded without modifying the hardware.