Control2Net Profiler version 2 is released
A new release of Control2Net Profiler is now released. It is quite different from earlier versions. You now start selecting the building, meter, etc. and then the report type, etc.
There is a plenty of new features in this new version and more to come soon.
Secondly there is all large performance enhancement in this version.
However an even larger performance enhancement is under development and will be released before end of November this year. The Profiler is working on top of the worlds fastest time-series database from IBM. We know that whatever data needed for whatever report takes under 300ms to retrieve from the database. The bottle-neck is in the web server and we are working on a solution.
However the current performance enhancement is large. It has been measured that a heavy report that took up to 20 seconds to generate before takes only 4,5 seconds with this new version. We plan to kick that time down to 1 second only, resulting in one of the worlds fastest web based reporting systems.
New features in Control2Net Profiler 2 are:
- Physical system items like buildings, meters, etc. are now selected from a tree-view instead of multiple drop-down boxes. This is simpler to understand and gives much better system overview. Secondly it will give totally new capabilities for the upcoming releases like multi-selecting. Then the user can for example select 2 or more buildings for comparison in a single report.
- Additional browsers are supported. Before Profiler only ran on Internet Explorer. Now Mozilla FireFox is supported fully. Google Chrome, Apple Safari and the Norwegian Opera are now supported. However those 3 still have some problems when resizing panes in the Profiler. In addition Safari and Opera do still not support the performance monitoring described below. NB! Internet Explorer 9 is needed to support performance monitoring. Earlier versions of IE do not support performance monitoring.
- A small, simple to use setup window. under the system-tree. Currently this setup window contains few check boxes for setup:
- "Use group colors". Normally when consumption is plotted, meters of same type have similar colors, for example electricity is always bluish. In most cases this is very convenient, but sometimes not and therefore this feature can now be turned off by un-checking this box.
- "Retrieve on select". By checking this box the user can simply "page through" buildings, meters, etc. The selected report is updated on each click in the system-tree. So no need to click the retrieve button. One less click.
- "Use from - to". This feature is currently disabled, but will soon be enabled. When checked the user can select time-period outside the default, for example weeks 3 -39 instead of the default 1-53 or date from 1.10.12 - 15.10.12 instead of the default single date, etc.
- Show "table". This box is checked by default. Un-checking it will cause standard reports to only show the chart, but not the table (grid) below. This is faster and is therefore convenient when the user is paging quickly through multiple buildings for example.
- "Autofit columns". This refers to the columns in the table (grid) of standard reports. When checked the system tries to best utilize the with of the grid for best visualization of column headers. This can be a little slow on the client computer, when the columns and rows are many. Therefor by default we switch it off.
- Performance window beneath the Setup window. This window shows the user performance information for the report-retrieval. Four items are shown both in terms of milliseconds as well as graphically by percentage:
- Server time, the time used on the web server to generate the report.
- Transfer. The time it takes to transfer the resulting report from the server to the users client browser.
- Browser time. This is the time it takes the browser, rendering the report. on the screen.
- The total time from the Retrieve button is clicked until the report is fully visualized. NB! this time does not have to be the exact sum of 1-3 above.
- New item in the context menu of the Retrieve button. By right-clicking the Retrieve button, the user gets access to 3 menu items.
- "Show report URL". When selecting this item a window will display showing the URL of the selected report with all needed parameters to run the report standalone outside Profiler. Encrypted user Id and password are excluded by security reasons. Administrator can add the encrypted parameters.
- Retrieve data. This menu item is used to force the Control2Net communication server to contact the selected building in the system tree and ask it for the latest logged data. NB! not all buildings support such retrieval. This depends on the gateway type those are connected to.
- LogOut. For logging out of the system. The system will automatically log out after 60 min idle time.
- News report.The news report is always the first report displayed after log-in. It contains useful information and messages to the users. News can be directed to individual groups of users only, by the administrators (see News-Manager in Control2Net Silver).
- Encryptor page. This "report" is only accessible by administrators for encrypting user ids and passwords. for standalone reports (see above).
- All reports are now shown in the main window of Profiler. Before all none-standard reports had to be shown in a popup window. This was rather clumsy solution compared to the unique "display whatever at one place" as implemented now.
- Auto-formatting. Table columns can now be auto-formatted with regards to number of decimals. Before we could format like "#0.00" meaning that all numbers where formatted with two decimals. When running such a report with data that had low values (less than 0,01 in this example) those numbers where displayed as zero. Now we can set the format to "#0.Auto2" instead forcing the system to place as many decimals needed to display the value. For example the value 0.000346789 would be displayed as 0.000347 if the format is "#0.Auto2".
There are many bug corrections in this version also. Among those are:
- DropDown boxes in navigator would not drop down if Internet Explorer is located on screen 2 in a multi-screen setup.
- Building report is now supported in English as well as Norwegian.
- Bug showing sometimes wrong sum-up values at the top of WeekOverview02No.aspx is corrected.
However still not retrieving cost information from the tariff system, but instead from the old simple cost numbers set for building.
- Dates & Times shown in Icelandic instead of the user culture.
New features planned the next two months:
- Performance boost 2. There are still some enhancements to do in the web-server software to boost performance to the millseconds limit of the database-server.
- Aggregate type "Quarter". 3 month aggregation for the 4 quarters of the year.
- Implementation of from-to functionality described above. For example week from-to for ET-reports (ET = Energy Temperature).
- Full multi-langual support for English Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, Dutch, German, French, Spanish and Italian.
- New "Meter Group" level in the system tree to enable meter grouping as configured in Control2Net Silver (Electricity, Gas, Oil, AC, Waste Paper, etc.). This will also include a "Group by" drop down in the horizontal report navigator. The dropdown will include "None", "Meter group", "Building" and "Building group".
- Multi-select in the system tree. By holding down the Ctrl-button while selecting with the left mouse it will be possible to select two or more buildings, meter groups or meters for a single report. This is valuable for example building comparison.
- Enable input of values for manual meters. Users with permissions can then put in new meter readings directly to Profiler, have the new readings distributed correctly and reported immediately on Profiler.
- Reporting support for documents. Refer to "Document module" in Control2Net Silver for further information.
- Store settings in the Config-box to the database for each user, such that the user will get the same settings when he logs on to Profiler again.
- Online user's guide.